Zippy Chicken Sausage and Peppers over a bed of rice makes a great dinner that's easy and filling
The regular routine of grocery shopping feels a little more exciting (and appetizing) when the store provides free snacks and samples to test. One of the big reasons we enjoy going to Costco as a family during busier hours — lots of samples up and down multiple isles.
But on occasion when we’re at Publix grocery store, they have the little demo station set up with someone cooking one of their Publix Aprons Simple Meals. We were passing by on our way to produce one day when the sweet aroma of peppers and chicken sausage called out to us. The tasty samples were delicious for their Chicken with peppers recipe. I sampled it two times and then picked up the recipe card to give it a try at home. I’ve now made it about four or five times and have made just a few modifications to the original recipe. Below is my version of this simple but tasty meal. The blend of multiple flavors from the diced peppers, chicken sausage, wine and red pepper flakes gives your tastebuds a nice lift for dinner.
You can find the original online at http://www.publix.com/recipes-planning/aprons-simple-meals/chicken-with-peppers-and-oregano-pesto-brussels-sprouts
- 1 lb of skinless chicken breast
- 1 package of Chicken & Apple Sausage
- 2 large bell peppers (red and yellow make it more colorful)
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion
- 3/4 c chicken broth (make sure to buy one that is gluten free)
- 3/4 c white wine
- 1/4 c seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 T chopped garlic
- 3/4 t salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 t crushed red pepper (optional, but it does add flavor kick)
- Rice for the bedding — Jasmine rice is amazing here – much better than instant brown rice
- Cook the chicken breast, cutting into small chunks as you go. I season with a little extra chopped garlic and brown mine off for added flavor. Set aside when done, but save your pan for step 2.
- Sauté the sausage, cutting them up into little bite size pieces as you go. I add a touch of water to the base of the pan as I’m cooking them to keep them from burning to the bottom.
- In between the cooking of your meats, chop up your peppers and onions. Dicing them into bite size pieces. Once your sausage is cooked, toss them into the pan and stir.
- Pour your chicken broth, white wine and rice vinegar into the pan and keep stirring. Add in your seasonings too. Now mix in the cooked chicken breast and sauté on low for a few minutes, stirring regularly to marinate the chicken and sausage in the flavor broths and to thoroughly cook the veggies.
- Spread over top of some cooked rice. Be sure to get a spoonful of the broth over top of the meats so you get a full impact of the flavors. I use Jasmine rice that is so light and fluffy and makes a great compliment to this meal. One occasion I was out and used some instant brown rice. Not the same flavor or fluff of the jasmine rice.
Chicken Sausage & Peppers
This simple meal mixes multiple flavors to provide a tasty dinner that comes together in under 20 minutes. The combination of the spice in the chicken sausage, white wine, bell peppers and red pepper flakes makes a delicious gluten free meal everyone can enjoy.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /homepages/36/d577084883/htdocs/app577215247/wp-content/themes/edition/functions/templates/entry-breakdown.php on line 51