Using quinoa as the base of your meal, you get the added protein source with a deep robust flavor that is amazing seasoned in cumin and vegetable broth. Combined with garlic seasoned chicken breast and your favorite toppings, this simple meal quickly can turn into a deep “burrito bowl.”
- 1 can of prepared black beans (pick low sodium if you like)
- 1 cup of uncooked Quinoa (I used regular, but you could use red if you prefer)
- 2 cups of vegetable broth (if you’re gluten free like me, be sure to read label carefully, very few are actually gluten free)
- 2 cups of chopped red, yellow or orange bell peppers
- 1 cup of chopped green onions (if you’re not concerned with sugar, you could use a yellow or sweet onion for even greater flavor)
- 1.5 pounds cooked chopped chicken breast (I flavor mine with chopped garlic)
- 2 TBSP cumin
Sautee the veggies for a few minutes and then sprinkle over the cumin, toss in the quinoa (uncooked) and pour the two cups of broth over top of everything and stir. Now add in your one can of black beans, sauce included, no need to drain.
Lower your heat to low simmer and stir up the mix once more to make sure nothing is sticking on the bottom and the quinoa looks evenly mixed throughout the very wet mixture.
Place the lid on and set your timer for 18:00 minutes (note: I was cooking on an electric stove top).
Now turn your attention to your second burner and cook the chicken breast into small pieces. I like to brown mine off with fresh garlic. If you don’t put the garlic into the chicken, then I would recommend adding it to the mixture above because garlic is a key component in this meal. I realize now I didn’t measure my garlic but I’m pretty consistent about using 1 – 2 TBSP. Go with what feels right to your taste buds.
When the mixture has simmered for 18 minutes, you will need to give it a quick stir but you will find the quinoa is cooked soft and fluffy and the moisture has all absorbed. Dump the entire contents of your pan into a large mixing/serving bowl. Add in your chopped up, cooked chicken. Mix.
Now comes the fun part. Your simple mixture is ready to serve. Place in a bowl and top with your favorites. I went with guacamole, salsa and tomatoes. Other not watching their diet added in cheese, sour cream and more cheese. The great factor of this meal is that it is so simple and highly customizable per individual. Hope you enjoy!